The Best Things to Do in La Habra This Summer
If you are looking for somewhere to spend your summer, Southern California is the right place to be. From the beaches and parks to the concerts and events—and everything in between—there are plenty of opportunities for summer fun in and around La Habra, and there are activities for all ages.
To save you the trouble, we’ve put together a compilation of all the best summer activities, events, shows, and performances near La Habra, California!
Nothing says summer like spending the day at the park, having a picnic, throwing a barbecue, playing outdoor games, or simply enjoying a pleasant stroll. La Habra is fortunate to have many beautiful, green, spacious parks nearby for all to enjoy. Here are a few of our favorites:
- Laguna Lake Park: As the name indicates, this park has a beautiful lake surrounded by nature trails and picnic areas. It is an ideal place to go fishing, birdwatching, biking, and more.
- Panorama Nature Preserve: For the nature lovers out there, the Panorama Nature Preserve is worth a visit. The children- and dog-friendly trail will take you up a hill to see a beautiful view of the surrounding area.
- Schabarum Regional Park: This is a large, all-encompassing park that includes playgrounds, amphitheaters, outdoor stages, picnic shelters and tables, barbecue grills, camping sites, equestrian centers, fitness zones, tennis courts, soccer fields, and trails for hiking, biking, and horseback riding—and more!
- Penn Park: This is a scenic park where lush green grass surrounds shaded walkways that pass ponds, streams, and a little waterfall—the ideal setup for an escape into nature.
For those who like to add a little more movement to their nature visits, La Habra is close to some neat hikes of varying lengths and difficulty levels:
- The Powder Canyon Loop Trail is a moderate 7.1-mile loop with an elevation gain of 1,276 feet and takes about three hours and 22 minutes to complete on foot. It is great for hiking, horseback riding, and mountain biking. Dogs are allowed on the trail and may be off leash in some areas.
- The Schabarium Trail to Purple Sage Trail hike is a moderate 5.9-mile loop with an elevation gain of 1,062 feet and takes about two hours and 48 minutes to complete. Dogs are welcome, including off-leash in some areas.
- For an easy hike, great for children, try the Vista Del Valle Park Path. This is a 0.8-mile loop and takes about 20 minutes to complete.
The Adventure Lagoon
Close to La Habra in Anaheim is The Adventure Lagoon water park. It is home to one of the largest floating aqua parks, which sits on top of a crystal-clear lake. The park includes an obstacle course and various climbing structures. But, not to worry; if you fall, you will land comfortably in a 74- to 78-degree lake! Plus, you can rent paddle boards, kayaks, and pedal boats, and you can even enjoy a floating game of volleyball on the water.
Spend a hot summer’s day with your kids cooling off, getting a workout in, and having a good laugh at The Adventure Lagoon. It is open from May 28 through September 30 daily from 10:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. (gate closes at 5:30 p.m.). See the website for pricing details.
Spend a day (or a few) soaking up the sun and relaxing at one of the many beach spots. La Habra isn’t far from some of Southern California’s best beaches, such as the beaches in Huntington Beach, Long Beach, and Torrance. Take advantage of being so close to the coast and head to the beach!
Movie in the Park
On June 17 from 6:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m., come to Oeste Park for a free showing of Sing 2. The movie begins at dusk, and there is a snack bar available. What better way to spend a Friday evening with the whole family than enjoying an outdoor movie together at the park?
The Great Outdoor Jubilee
On June 18 from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m., The Children’s Museum at La Habra is hosting the Great Outdoor Jubilee, an event that includes relay racing, tie-dying, s’mores making, crafting, and more. This is a great event for kids to have fun while learning about natural science. Tickets are $25 for general admission and $15 for museum members. Tickets for the event include admission to the museum.
On June 22, come to Oeste Park for a summer event to remember. The La Habra police and community service departments are putting on Cool Cops, an afternoon of fun for families. The event is from 2:00 to 4:00 p.m. and will include waterslides, ice cream, crafts, splash pads, music, and more—all for free!
La Habra doesn’t just have events for kids; seniors can have a good time at the Senior Dance, with live music by Cowboy Jack Johnson, dancing, and dinner. The event will take place on Sunday, June 26, at the La Habra Community Center, and tickets are $8.
Fourth of July Fireworks
No one does a Fourth of July Firework Show like La Habra. This year, the show will include fireworks, a military flyover, live music by Suave, kids’ activity booths, food vendors, and retail vendors. Seating is first-come-first-served. If you get your tickets by June 30, the cost is $3 per youth (three to 12 years) and $5 per adult (13+ years). After that until July 4, tickets are $5 per youth and $7 per adult. The show will take place at La Bonita Park. The gates open at 4:00 p.m., and fireworks begin at about 9:15 p.m.
Concerts in the Park
Every summer, the City of La Habra puts on outdoor concerts at Portola Park on Thursdays from 7:00 to 8:30 p.m. Admission is free, and there will be family fun activities, funnel cakes and concessions, and other vendors. Here is the lineup for 2022:
- July 7: Hot August Night, a Neil Diamond Tribute
- July 14: Boys of Summer, an Eagles Tribute
- July 21: The Highway Man Show, a tribute to Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, and Kris Kristofferson
- July 28: Bruno & the Hooligans, Mariachi Divas (All-Female Mariachi Band)
Shows and Performances
Musicals and Plays
La Habra is lucky to be close to incredible theaters with a reputation for high-quality performances. Here are a few of the musicals and plays showing this summer that you might consider checking out:
- In the Heights (June 3–26)
- Musical Dosan (August 25–28)
- Tootsie (May 31–June 12)
- Come from Away (June 21–26)
- Pretty Women: The Musical (July 5–17)
- Hadestown (August 9–21)
Visit the links for specific times and prices.
If you prefer a show where you can get a little wilder, there are some well-known bands coming for concerts near La Habra this summer:
There’s so much to look forward to this summer in La Habra, California. No matter your age or your interests, there are plenty of activities and events happening to suit your tastes. If you are trying to find the best things to do in the area, start with these!
Come On In
9 AM–6 PM
10 AM–5 PM
11 AM–5 PM
CALL + TEXT
360 S Idaho, La Habra CA 90631